Nagging Works!

Advertisements

Clearly I jest on this title but after asking for seemingly months waiting for the weather to improve, on this past Sunday I was finally told that we could go up to the Peak and start working on the roughly 1.35 miles of fencing we need to get up to keep the cows off our property.

Per HOA code, as we are installing a wire fence, both the top and bottom wire have to be smooth for wildlife safety.  When we took over the land, the previous owner had installed some fence posts, but we actually had to remove a lot of the posts as they were in the easement and not actually on property.  Last Summer we removed the bulk of the fence posts which were in the easement and we decided when it was time to start fencing this spring, that we would start with the eastern border of the land for a few reasons:

  1. The neighbors to the north of us have a fence up already
  2. The hypotenuse of our triangle section has posts that are up on the property so we won’t have to do as much there
  3. The Landowners east of us are the ranch owners of the cows that frequent our land
  4. When we mess things up on this stretch while trying to figure things out and how to build a fence, no one will know except us…and now you…

On Sunday Morning after sleeping in on the one day of rest we venture up to the Peak to try and figure out what the heck we’re doing in regards to how to construct a fence.  We know the theory and purchased a lot of the basic supplies last year, but now is the time to shine.

We recently brought the Backhoe back up to the peak after bringing it to our home over winter to keep an eye on it and had to unload it.  The Dogfather got in the cab to drive it off the gooseneck and I was to make sure it stayed on the tracks to unload.  What we both failed to remember is that when there is not a truck attached to the trailer and unloading a heavy  piece of equipment that the front end of the trailer will tilt up.  What the Dog father failed to think through is that the backhoe is heavy, pieces of wood to brace the weight are old and the ground is soft due to spring rains and snow.

This combination means that I had a panic attack and utter sense of helplessness as the trailer raised up, sound of wood cracking and backhoe tiling as the trailer started to sink unevenly.

Fortunately, the backhoe was unloaded and we drove it once loaded with the supplies we thought we needed over to the corner to start building our fence. 

Step one was constructing a strong base for our wire to get strung on.  Using the auger, we seat and get the first H brace set and strengthened.  The problems started with the second side of the corner.  The chainsaw we have is old, as in almost old enough to legally drink in the USA old.  It started to complain after sitting for months on end and would only function working sideways.  Not exactly a pro when you are trying to operate it in a normal capacity.

Therefore we had to abandon the work for the day on Sunday and either invest in fixing our existing chainsaw or getting a new one.  After discussion, we decided that it would be best to get new and actually, which I understand why cognitively yet find highly ironic, to get an electric chainsaw.

We’ll continue with our progress next time, Bye All Y’alls